Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Jack's birthday






Okay, so I promised myself when Jack was born that I would make his cake every year for his birthday. If you know me, you know I am not a baker and man oh man, I sure don't cook! I figured that Jack would always know his mom loved him if I sacrificed and made him a cake. The cake for his first birthday, a Winnie the Pooh cake, took me 3 days. Last year, he wanted Lightening McQueen, and that I pounded out in 24 hours. You'd think with all the time I spend on them that they'd be these fabulous looking cakes, but they really are just pretty basic! This year, I asked Jack what kind of cake he wanted, and guess what he came up with? He wanted Lightening McQueen with Cactus on him!!!! There is a part in the Cars movie where Lightening McQueen crashes into some cactus, and comes up covered in cactus. Hysterical....and even more hysterical that this is what Jack wanted for his cake! I searched everywhere for some sort of cactus cake decorations, to no avail. I searched every possible store in New England, to no avail. Apparently, cactus plants are not a big deal here in New England! I finally resigned myself to some floral moss that I could put on the cake, then remove before we ate it. GROSS! Anyway, at the last possible moment in the most obscure part of Michaels, Megan found some little cactus cut-out things. We used those, and Jack LOVED it. He still plays with the little wooden cactus cut-outs. Hooray!
And now, my baby is all grown up. Jack's promotion from "baby" to "big boy" on this birthday was harder for me than my 30th birthday! He is just changing so fast......

2 comments:

Julie said...

Jack and Megan look so cute together. Jack is so happy. These pictures make me miss him even more. I love you, Jack.

The Teeples Times said...

Wow! Way to go with the cake - you've got me impressed. Poor Dallin will always remember my mom bought me a cake every year. I love the red around his face - hillarious! He really is getting big! I love the manger pics from the earlier post - you guys look very authentic! HOpe your Christmas was wonderful and you're enjoying your break from school.