Saturday, January 23, 2010


Jack recently had a birthday, and as I told him when he was born that I would do every year, I made his birthday cake. I was pretty proud of that cake; it took me WAY TOO long to do something so simple. I am not a baker!!!! But Jack loved it. It reminded me of his 1st birthday, when I made the same cake for him (hey, no judgments - he WANTED Winnie again). It took me three days or something like that when I did it the first time. When he turned one, though, we brought out the cake, sang to him, and while he was sitting in his hi-chair, we proceed to cut the cake. Well, he was one, and Winnie was his hero. He did not take kindly to the idea back then that we were "cutting up" his hero. Since that fateful day, we've tried to avoid that same situation by discussing in the weeks before his birthday that cake is SUPPOSED to be cut up.

I am not a big fan of this "my baby is growing up" thing. On his birthday, I woke him up and asked him, "Jack, do you know what happened 4 years ago today?' In a tired and somewhat exasperated voice, he said, "Mom, you birthed me."

With a big smile on my face, I told him, "You better believe I did, Bubba."

4 comments:

Brooks and Mandy said...

We really need to do something about that kid liking Winnie Laura! But the cake looks good (cant say cute cause winnie is not cute) but the cake is good! love ya!!!

Sally said...

What? You're not a baker? Shocking news, truly shocking! lol He's a cute lil' dude isn't he!

The Metzgers said...

So now that I have have your blog address I can finally stalk you. My life is complete!

The Teeples Times said...

Can't believe he's four!! And such a handsome guy too!! Hey, what are your plans for moving?? I hope you are all doing fabulous, we miss you three!!