Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pondering Things That Are Really Important

I've had the chance over the last 24 hours or so to think about the things in life that really matter. Recent events have certainly given me a lot to think about....and that's always a good thing, right?

My dad was in a terrible accident yesterday. One of his horses that he loves so much got a little anxious right as my dad was trying to get on him. Apparently, he was dragged by the horse for a ways and then trampled. His skull was crushed, and he sustained some pretty massive brain trauma. He was life-flighted to the hospital, where life-saving brain surgery was performed on him immediately. The doctor told me today that without the removal of part of his skull, he would have passed away yesterday.

It is still pretty bad. He's obviously in a coma, and the brain damage is so extensive that they are not sure what is going to happen next. They are waiting for some swelling to go down to see what his body does, but it looks pretty grim. My dad, though, is a fighter and he's always been physically tough. Despite all of that, I hear my dad's voice telling me the same thing he's told me a million times, and that is that you have to trust in whatever God has planned.

Megan and I cam to Salt Lake early this morning. We are so fortunate that all the pieces fell together that allowed us to be here right now. We're not sure what the future will bring, but the one thing we do know is that it is in God's hands, and we trust Him.

I love you dad.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I have been thinking about you and praying for you all day! I am so so sorry about your dad's accident. I pray that God's miracles will bless you!!!! I love you!!!!!

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

Oh Laura, you and your fam our in our prayers!!! I'm so sorry... I'm sending you an incredible hug to you and Megan. If there is anything at all I can do, don't hesitate to ask. We are here for you all!!!! God bless