Monday, April 26, 2010

Two Things To Be Grateful For

In the wee hours of the morning, I was sitting by my dad's bedside holding his hand and reading a little story in the Book of Mormon. I read about how Nephi was wondering what the meaning of his father's dream was, and he got told a few things about that dream that hit me in a rather interesting way. In this vision Nephi was given, he was asked if he knew the condesension of God. His response was interesting. He said that he didn't know the meaning of all things, but that he knew God loved his children. I've been a little consumed lately with why God would let this happen to my dad, who has been such a faithful person and given so much to so many. This first hit me in a different way than I expected, because later in the chapter, Nephi is told that the love of God is the most desirable above all things. He was also told it was the most joyous thing to the soul. What made this so powerful was that I KNOW God loves my dad. I know God loves me. And since that is the most important and joyous thing to the soul, why do I concern myself with the why question?

All I have to know is that God loves me, He loves my dad, and that He loves us enough to give us what we need - not always what we want.

1 comment:

The Teeples Times said...

Oh Laura, I want you to know that I have been thinking of you and your family and your loss. I wish I could see you and give you a giant hug! You are one of the strongest people I know, and I'm sure your dad would be so proud of you and who you've become. I'm sure your dad is watching out for you and wishing you didn't feel sad for him. Love you and thinking of you.

Melanie